10th European #Anti-Trafficking Day

The 18th of October 2016, marks the 10th European #Anti-Trafficking Day. On this occasion, the European Commission has called upon its member states to reinvigorate joint efforts across Europe in order to eradicate trafficking in human beings.

The International Organization for Migration (IOM) as the leading organization in the field of #migration has worked in the field of human trafficking for over 30 years. During this period over 80 000 victims were protected and assisted by ten thousands of public and private representatives. In Europe, IOM staff is active carrying out individual assessment and risk assessment in view of potential voluntary return. The types of exploitation can vary. In 2015, 65% of the victims in Europe suffered sexual exploitation. The other 35% was mainly forced labor and domestic work.   

IOM mostly assists these victims in the country where they are being exploited or identified as victims, except for those returning to their home countries. Typically, IOM provides long-term reintegration support that includes: access to employment through job placement or business set-up, access to education or training, housing support, and / or medical support.

Bearing in mind that needs remain numerous in the field of combatting trafficking in Europe, IOM strongly believes that consistency, comprehensiveness and coherence remain the key pillars of any successful anti-trafficking.

 

Read more:

- IOM CONTRIBUTION TO THE WRITTEN CONSULTATION ON THE POST 2016 STRATEGY AGAINST TRAFFICKING IN HUMAN BEINGS.

- Regional Overview 2015: IOM Assistance to Victims of Trafficking in the EU, Norway and Switzerland